Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Fall for Family and Friends



I have always loved Halloween. When I was a little girl living out the still hot, rainy October days of Texas, Halloween was the precursor to cooler days and longer nights. Though we didn't have many changing colors, pumpkins and fall festivals signaled the start of the holiday season full of family gatherings and community togetherness. My favorite memory, as a 5th grader, is of the room mothers at my little Christian school dressing up in full make-up and costume of old hags and toiling over a giant cauldron of dry-ice-steaming “witches brew” at the annual Fall Festival. We received handmade gifts, competed in the Cake Walk for homemade goodies and lost ourselves in the mile-long cardboard box maze on the playground of our little school. We dressed up as clowns, pumpkins, sheet ghosts, Raggedy Ann, gangsters, police men or jail birds! The fun was care-free and innocent. Even the “big kids” enjoyed this scene.

As I enter into the Halloween week with my kids, I can’t help but realize just how much things have changed. This year, my fun-loving, oldest has decided to skip the holiday all together. He feels “convicted” that there is too much evil involved in the celebration of Halloween. I respect and support his decision, but am saddened by the fact that he will never enjoy this time of year from the perspective I always have, and still do. On the other hand, my middle son and I continue the battle as he begs to join his ever maturing group of friends for terrifying visits to the “Slaughter House,” “Scream Park,” and “Fright Night!” His choice of costume pushes my limits every year and we are challenged to keep him engaged in a more tempered celebration including our own church’s Trunk or Treat, carving Jack-O-Lanterns, and some local trick or treating with a few family friendly garage haunted houses along the way.

The thing is, we love a reason to PARTY-To be silly, celebrate with family and friends- To experience life together. There is a long, dry spell following July 4th and we need some fun! Halloween is the answer to our desire for community.

DESPERATE FOR COMMUNITY.

This week a friend shared her feelings of loneliness and exclusion. She is surrounded by little ones all day long and has few opportunities to get out. Even church groups aren’t “kid friendly” anymore. She shared with me that she and her husband were invited to join a Life Group at church, only to find out that they had to hire a sitter because kids weren’t included. As I listened to her, all my memories of being a young mama, feeling lonely and isolated, flooded my mind. I remember praying I would never forget and that I would do something about it when I had the freedom. I have met many mamas along the way who feel exactly this way, but this one hit home since we go to church together.

What has happened to us? Are we so busy “doing” life that we have no time to “live” life together?

I am burdened by this question, and as the homeschooling mom of three, I wonder what kind of example this is setting for my kids.

In Matthew 22:36-40 scripture says, “Jesus replied: ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment.  And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
 
God created us to be in relationship with HIM and with others. Why would he make the greatest commandment to LOVE if HE didn’t mean for us to have opportunities to LOVE? 

 Our Life Group kids celebrating a birthday!
 
I don’t have the answer, but I am convinced that something needs to change. I am prayerfully seeking God’s wisdom and guidance. In the mean time, I think I will call my Life Group and plan a get-together. We might even invite a new family to the table.

And, YES! Kids are always welcome!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment